March 17, 2011

Lemon Cookies

Thursday, March 17, 2011 Posted by Ryan , 7 comments


I saw a picture of these cookies today on Pinterest and when I tracked down the original blog post it had the recipe, in Russian.


Not in Swedish or something.

I figured between the power of Google and me, I could figure out the recipe. I haven't made these yet, but they look easy.

Warning: I used Google to translate from Russian, made some corrections and then retyped the instructions to make more sense. Use at your own risk. Many of the ingredients are still measured in grams because there is no accurate way to translate that into cups. Use a kitchen scale, it's better to bake that way anyway.

Russian Lemon Wedge Cookies (from http://liliach.livejournal.com, translated by me)

Ingredients
150g softened butter
1 egg
1 tbsp lemon zest
200g ground almonds
100g caster sugar (superfine sugar)
200g flour
1 tbsp lemon juice

1 egg yolk
3-4 Lemons
sugar for sprinkling


Beat butter with an egg.
Add almonds, sugar, flour and lemon juice and stir.
Shape into two rolls, about 5cm (2") each in diameter and put into the refrigerator for 3 hours.

Heat oven to 180C (350F).

Slice each log into cookies about 4 mm (1/8") and place on a baking sheet. Brush the top of each cookie with the beaten egg yolk.
Wash the lemons thoroughly under hot water and wipe with a towel. Cut into very thin slices of 1-2 mm and put one slice on the top of each cookie. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 12-15 minutes.

Cool and optionally sprinkle with powdered sugar.

If you like the tops of the cookies browned, the last 5 minutes of baking, put under the broiler.

7 comments:

Lena said...

looks great. must try this recipe!


http://style-palate.blogspot.com/

Joyti said...

What lovely little cookies. Yum!

Hannah said...

Oh fantastic - thank you!
I have these pinned and google told me it couldn't translate the original recipe. I'm so pleased to find your post.

this is lemonade said...

I love this recipe. The cookies look absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing, I am going to have to bake these!

Anonymous said...

Has anyone made these yet? I can't even find the original Russian recipe. My concern is that the lemon, if used fresh, will be too wet. I'd think that they " dried and candied" it first?

I really love lemon and theses cookies are so rustic and so beautiful!

Thank you for translating!

Alicia

Yuli Conversations said...

Made me, killed them! Making them AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN! These are redicilous delicious!!!

deb did it said...

thank you for the effort...I am so making these! I. Love. Anything. Lemon. !!